Monday, September 15, 2008

Scary Prayer

A few weeks ago I was preparing for the Sunday service and asking God to prepare my heart to lead and without thinking about it, I prayed "Lord, take away from me anything that might take away from You." As soon as it left my thought (I was praying silently), I realized what I had just said and what the consequences might be.

Do I really want God to strip my life of all the things that get in the way of people seeing Him? Unfortunately my flesh screams "NO!" I like my comforts, my things, my habits. Am I really willing to let God do all of this? So I've begun to force myself to pray this little prayer anyway. As much as it may hurt, cost, or incovenience me I also realize it is absolutely necessary to the "success" of what I do. If people are going to see God and meet with Him, I cannot be in the way. If I'm His mirror, I want there to be nothing in-between.

John the Baptist told his followers that "He must increase, I must decrease" and I guess I'm praying the same. I'm flinching while praying it, not knowing exactly what the answer to that prayer will entail, but like forcing yourself to take nasty tasting medicine, sometimes we have to let our mind and sprit overcome our flesh.

Bottom's Up!

No comments: